The Eastern Division is one of three divisions of the American Philosophical Association, along with the Central and Pacific Divisions. Each year the division holds an annual business meeting early January. During the pandemic, the Eastern Division will be held as part of a virtual divisional meeting on Friday, January 15, 2021 at 1 p.m. Eastern time.
Exact Editions has supplied to the upcoming digital meeting an open digital display of 39 philosophy titles from 7 book publishers. This time-limited and open access digital collection is easily accessible by way of a simple link without any requirement for a login, sign-up or registering of an email. Each book is fully searchable, with linked contents pages, allowing ease of both access and research of subject-specific terms or browsing preferred chapters.
The conferences display is organised as a set of publisher-specific collections, but the full set of titles can be accessed here:
This straight-forward way of providing digital access to multiple book titles is supplied through Exact Editions’ new and cutting-edge Reading Rooms service, available as a feature for current publishing clients for its magazine titles. However, this is the first time the Exact Editions platform has been used for book displays. Exact Editions views this as both a successful use of its developed feature and its work with the APA a useful prototype for the wider use of Reading Rooms for a range of promotional services for new print and digital books such as: reviewing copies, inspection copies for instructors, and sampling of new publications.
The following titles supplied by the mentioned book publishers listed below are currently included in the current open digital display of philosophy titles available until the end of the APA Eastern Conference:
- Environmental Ethics
- Logic and Philosophy (13th edition)
- Mind and Brain (2nd edition)
- Thinking Through Utilitarianism
- Thinking Through Questions
- Aristotle: De Caelo
- The Complete Zhuangzi
- The Plotinus Reader
- Ethical Reasoning, Theory and Application
- Moral Philosophy: A Contemporary Introduction
- Discourse on Method and Meditations on First Philosophy
- The Broadview Introduction to Philosophy
- Natural Born Monads
- Doing Things Together
- Peirce On The Uses Of History
- The Art of Chinese Philosophy
- Freedom, Resentment & the Metaphysics of Morals
- How Logic Works
- The Murder of Professor Schlick
- On Being Me
- Think Least of Death
- Why Trust Science?
- What Is Political Philosophy?
- Nietzsche’s Dawn
- Aesthetics, A Comprehensive Anthology
- Reading Philosophy
- This is Bioethics, An Introduction
- This is Philosophy of Religion, An Introduction
- The Philosopher’s Toolkit: A Compendium of Philosophical Concepts and Methods
- Blackwell Great Minds: Berkeley
- Asian Worldviews: Religions, Philosophies, Political Theories
- Smart Technologies and Fundamental Rights
- Beauvoir in Time
- Brill’s Companion to the Reception of Athenian Democracy
- Buddhist Philosophy of Consciousness
Oxford (from the Oxford Philosophical Concepts series)
- Evil: A History
- Persons: A History
- Telelogy: A History
- Space: A History
There will be very similar content available in future, on a temporary basis, for the Central and Pacific meetings later in the year.
For more information on our Reading Rooms service or our partnership with the APA for their Eastern conference, please contact us here.